Motorists using the Nairobi Expressway will have to dig deeper into their pockets to use the road after the government revised the toll rates.
In a Special Gazette notice issued on December 19, 2023, Transport CS Kipchumba Murkomen has approved the new rates.
“In Exercise of the powers conferred by section 4B(3) of the Public Roads Tolls Act, the Cabinet Secretary for Roads and Transport approves the toll rates for the Nairobi Expressway as set out in the Schedule hereto,” it reads.
He said the price change was due to the depreciating Shilling against the US Dollar.
In the new rates, the least amount one will pay to use the Expressway is Sh170 compared to Sh120 that was previously paid.
The highest amount one will pay to use the road will be Sh500 compared to Sh360 previously. This price is for saloon cars.
The toll rates are set for future adjustments based on not just the prevailing exchange rate but also changes in the consumer price index (CPI).
The Sh88 billion expressway has 1o exits at Mlolongo, Standard Gauge Railway, Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Eastern Bypass, Southern Bypass, Capital Centre, Haile Selassie Avenue, Museum Hill, and Westlands.
Here is the breakdown of new charges:
• Westlands to Mlolongo and Syokimau —-Sh500
• Westlands to JKIA and Easter Bypass —-Sh410
• Westlands to Southern Bypass —-Sh330
• Westlands to Haile Selassie and Capital Centre —-Sh250
• Westlands to Museum Hill —–Sh170
The price from The Mall to all other exits will remain the same as from Westlands.
• Museum Hill to Mlolongo —-Sh500
• Museum Hill to Syokimau —-Sh410
• Museum Hill to JKIA and Eastern Bypass —-Sh330
• Museum Hill to Southern Bypass —–Sh250
• Museum Hill to Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —-Sh170
• Haile Selassie to Mlolongo and Syokimau —-Sh410
• Haile Selassie to JKIA —–Sh330
• Haile Selassie to Eastern Bypass and Westlands —–Sh250
• Haile Selassie to Southern Bypass, Capital Centre and Museum Hill —–Sh170
• Capital Centre to Mlolongo —-Sh410
• Capital Centre to Syokimau —-Sh330
• Capital Centre to JKIA, Eastern Bypass and Westlands —-Sh250
• Capital Centre to Southern Bypass, Haile Selassie and Museum Hill —-Sh170
• Southern Bypass to Mlolongo, Syokimau and Westlands —-Sh330
• Southern Bypass to JKIA and Museum Hill —–Sh250
• Southern Bypass to Eastern Bypass, Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —–Sh170
• Eastern Bypass to Mlolongo, Syokimau, Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —-Sh250
• Eastern Bypass to JKIA and Southern Bypass —-Sh170
• Eastern Bypass to Museum Hill —-Sh330
• Eastern Bypass to Westlands —-Sh410
• JKIA to Eastern Bypass —–Sh170
• JKIA to Southern Bypass and Capital Centre —–Sh250
• JKIA to Haile Selassie and Museum Hill —–Sh330
• JKIA to Westlands —–Sh410
• SGR to Eastern Bypass —-Sh170
• SGR to Southern Bypass —-Sh250
• SGR to Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —-Sh330
• SGR to Museuem Hill and Westlands —-410
• Syokimau to SGR —-Sh170
• Syokimau to Eastern Bypass —-Sh250
• Syokimau to Southern Bypass and Capital Centre —-Sh330
• Syokimau to Haile Selassie and Museum Hill —–Sh410
• Syokimau to Westlands —-Sh500
• Mlolongo to SGR and Eastern Bypass —-Sh250
• Mlolongo to Southern Bypass —-Sh330
• Mlolongo to Capital Centre and Haile Selassie —-Sh410
• Mlolongo to Museum Hill and Westlands —-Sh500
Source: The Star